Advent is a time of preparation. It is a time of waiting with longing, expectation and hope. We all know what ‘waiting’ means and how hard this can be. Over the next four Sundays, we will be lighting the candles of our Advent wreath in church. The light will get brighter and brighter as we get closer to Christmas when we celebrate the birth of Jesus, the Light of the world.
Join us online via our YouTube channel from 8.45am this Sunday. Our worship service will contain readings, music and Holy Communion. The service sheet, which can be used in conjunction with this service, is available to view/download here, as is the talk.
Open for Prayer
The church building is open for personal prayer on Wednesday mornings from 10-11am. You are welcome to come and sit quietly in the church space to reflect, pray, read and meditate. We will also make some prayer sheets available for personal use. There will be a team coordinated by our wardens, Anne Luxton and Matt Stoney, to give guidance as you arrive. You are welcome to come for the whole time or just pop in for a few minutes.
We will be following all the government and diocesan guidelines to make our personal prayer sessions as safe as we can. This includes sanitising hands, 2m physical distancing and mandatory face masks.
We advise that people with Covid symptoms stay at home, as well as those who need to continue shielding. We hope that many of you will feel confident enough to come into church for personal prayer on Wednesday mornings, but if not, you can also tune in to our weekly reflections on our YouTube channel every Tuesday morning from 8am.
Prayer as we light the first candle of our Advent wreath
A candle burns, the sign of hope.
God of hope, come to use again this Advent.
May your hope live within us,
burning as a light in our lives.
God, give us light, give us hope.
Children & Young People’s Resources
- Worship at Home – A national Church of England resource designed to help families have a short time of worship as a household at home. Click here to find out more.
- Light at Home – Weekly sheets by the Diocese of Leeds to support families at home. Each sheet has a bible story, prayers, something to do together and a challenge. Click here to access these sheets.
- Weekly@ November 2020: Weekly lectionary-based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. Each session includes a theme, Bible story, game, craft activity, songs and a reflection. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. Click here to view/download.
Other Worship Resources
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Church of England weekly online services: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship
- BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship
- Songs of Praise (BBC1)
- The Church of England’s Countdown to Christmas: Activities as we prepare for and celebrate Christmas