This week’s online service, which will be available to view on our YouTube channel from 9am on Sunday morning, marks the first Sunday of Lent. We will have music, readings, prayers, reflections and a talk, by John Butler, around the themes of Lent and celebration.
You may think that it is strange to talk about celebration during Lent. However, even during Lent, even during the pandemic, it is still important to be grateful, to count our blessings and to celebrate God’s love. Celebrations help us to have a helpful and joyful rhythm in our daily lives.
We will be following the themes of the Diocesan Lent course Rhythm of Life in our Sunday services and ‘Celebration’ is its first theme. We will also celebrate Holy Communion during the service, so make sure that you bring some bread and wine with you to watch the service. This will help you to enjoy a greater sense of participation.
Prayer for the first Sunday in Lent
Your son Jesus battled with the powers of darkness and grew closer to you in the desert;
Help us to use these days of Lent to grow in wisdom and prayer
that we may be more deeply aware of your saving love in Jesus Christ and share this love with people around us.
Children & Young People’s Resources
- Worship at Home – A national Church of England resource designed to help families have a short time of worship as a household at home. Click here to find out more.
- Light at Home – Weekly sheets by the Diocese of Leeds to support families at home. Each sheet has a bible story, prayers, something to do together and a challenge. Click here to access these sheets.
- Weekly@ January-April 2021: Weekly lectionary-based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. Each session includes a theme, Bible story, game, craft activity, songs and a reflection. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. Click here to view/download.
Other Worship Resources
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Church of England weekly online services: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship
- BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship
- Songs of Praise (BBC1)