St Paul’s church’s Remembrance Sunday services have always been an important opportunity to connect with our parish and the community of Shipley, as we remember those who have died as a result of WW1 and WW2, as well as other wars and situations of violence in our world. This year we will be holding our service online only, available on our YouTube channel from 9am on Sunday. Sadly we can’t hold outside gatherings and our church building needs to be closed in the combat against the spread of Covid 19. We acknowledge this is particularly hard for those who are not able to access services online. Please look out for a television broadcast from the National Cenotaph in London on Sunday at 10.15am on BBC1. Our own online service will contain pictures of wreath layings from this and previous years, as well as a talk by Bishop Nick, messages from local community groups, music, readings, prayers by children and a blessing by Bishop Toby. The service sheet, which can be used in conjunction with this service, is available to view/download here.
Prayer for Remembrance Sunday
God, our refuge and strength
bring near the day when wars shall cease
and poverty and pain shall end,
that earth may know the peace of heaven
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Looking Back at Remembrance Sunday During Previous Years
Remembrance Day 2020 – The Church of England
The Church of England has created a page on their website to allow you to reflect and remember, wherever you may be, on Remembrance Sunday this year. It includes a video (shown opposite), the reading of Psalm 23, two minutes’ silence and a prayer. To view this page, please click here.
Children & Young People’s Resources
- Worship at Home – A national Church of England resource designed to help families have a short time of worship as a household at home. Click here to find out more.
- Light at Home – Weekly sheets by the Diocese of Leeds to support families at home. Each sheet has a bible story, prayers, something to do together and a challenge. Click here to access these sheets.
- Weekly@ November 2020: Weekly lectionary-based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. Each session includes a theme, Bible story, game, craft activity, songs and a reflection. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. Click here to view/download.
Other Worship Resources
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Church of England weekly online services: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship
- BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship
- Songs of Praise (BBC1)