Pentecost Sunday is one of the major Christian festivals. We celebrate that God gave the Holy Spirit to all people from every nation. Our Sunday online service will be an all-age joint service with Sunday Xtra. There will be songs, a testimony, prayers, a children’s activity and a talk by Toby Howarth, the Bishop of Bradford.
Of course, it would have been wonderful if we could have celebrated this festival in our church building with everyone gathered, and we pray for everyone who is especially feeling isolated at this time and missing church. However, there are other ways to connect. If you have access to the internet and YouTube, you can watch our service online via our YouTube channel from 9am on Sunday morning. The service booklet for this service is available to view/download here, as is the talk by Bishop Toby. The BBC will also be broadcasting a service at 10am which you can watch on your TV.
Do take the opportunity to talk with friends and/or family about Pentecost and feel free to send people the link to our YouTube channel and website. Our services have about 150 views per week which indicates that we are connecting with many more people than usual. Let’s pray that God will use us to reveal something of his love, peace and grace to people around us.
Today we feel the wind beneath our wings
Today the hidden fountain flows and plays
Today the church draws breath at last and sings
As every flame becomes a Tongue of praise.
This is the feast of fire, air, and water
Poured out and breathed and kindled into earth.
The earth herself awakens to her maker
And is translated out of death to birth.
The right words come today in their right order
And every word spells freedom and release
Today the gospel crosses every border
All tongues are loosened by the Prince of Peace
Today the lost are found in His translation.
Whose mother-tongue is Love, in every nation.
By Malcolm Guite
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come, your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen.
- Weekly@ are lectionary based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. This Sunday’s theme is Receive the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit Comes – Pentecost
A video for children about Pentecost by Kids Play & Learn
Other Worship Resources
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Church of England: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship