This Sunday, the fifth Sunday in Lent, is Passion Sunday, when we remember that Jesus willingly took on suffering and went to the cross. Our online Worship Service will be available as a pre-recorded video on our YouTube channel from 9am on Sunday morning. In this service we will focus on Jesus’ suffering on the cross and what this means for us. Henriette will give a talk based on John 12:20-33, where she will explore how we all have times of suffering in our lives, which we often cannot escape. The only way forward is to embrace the struggle and become stronger through it. The knowledge that Jesus knew suffering too can be a source great comfort. We are not alone.
This Sunday we will also reflect for a moment on this time one year ago when the first National Lockdown was announced. The 23rd March will be the UK National Day of Reflection, when those who have died in the pandemic will be remembered. We are encouraged to keep a minute’s silence at 12pm and to light up our doorsteps in the evening. This is an initiative by Marie Curie, endorsed by the government. Lets all do this on Tuesday and strengthen the initiative with prayers for the UK and the world, still very much living through the pandemic, but with hope on the horizon. To find out more, please visit the Marie Curie website.
Re-opening of the church building
On Sunday 28th March, Palm Sunday, at 10.30am, we will open our building again for public worship, for the first time since 3rd January. Whether you are able to join us or not, this will be a joyful event for both the church community and parish. Due to Covid restrictions, places for our onsite services are limited and must be pre-booked by texting: 07960626938.
In the darker moments,
when clouds gather
and the heaviness we feel
remind us of your love,
carrying the weight
of so much in that cross,
embracing the world
with arms outstretched
that we might know
freedom from the chains
which now constrain us.
Bring us to your light,
release our burdens
and from despair bring hope.
Children & Young People’s Resources
- Worship at Home – A national Church of England resource designed to help families have a short time of worship as a household at home. Click here to find out more.
- Light at Home – Weekly sheets by the Diocese of Leeds to support families at home. Each sheet has a bible story, prayers, something to do together and a challenge. Click here to access these sheets.
- Weekly@ January-April 2021: Weekly lectionary-based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. Each session includes a theme, Bible story, game, craft activity, songs and a reflection. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. Click here to view/download.
- #LiveLent God’s Story Our Story – Family Activities. Click here to view/download.
Other Worship Resources
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Church of England weekly online services: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship
- BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship
- Songs of Praise (BBC1)