Advent is a time of preparation, a time of waiting with longing, expectation and hope when we are invited to reflect and prepare for the coming of Jesus at Christmas and look forward to his coming again. Over the next four Sundays, we will be lighting the candles of our Advent wreath in church. The light will get brighter and brighter as we get closer to Christmas. As we celebrate Jesus ‘Light of the World’ coming into our lives, may we seek to spread his light amongst those around us.
This Sunday, John Butler will be leading and presiding at our Advent Service with Holy Communion, with Chris Clough preaching. This service will begin at 10am in the church building (doors open from 9.30am) and will, hopefully, also be live streamed via our YouTube channel (see below). We have had some technical live streaming difficulties over the past week or so, so apologies if things don’t go as planned. The readings for this service will be: Jeremiah 33:14-16 and Luke 21: 25-36.
In the evening, at 6pm, we will hold our wonderful Advent Service of Light. This is an inspiring candle-lit service to prepare for Christmas, to which all are welcome. This service will not be live streamed, so do please join us in church if you can.
A Prayer as we light the first candle of our Advent wreath
A candle burns, the sign of hope.
God of hope, come to use again this Advent.
May your hope live within us,
burning as a light in our lives.
God, give us light, give us hope.
Children & Young People's Resources
- Worship at Home – A national Church of England resource designed to help families have a short time of worship as a household at home. Click here to find out more.
- Weekly@ September – December 2021: Weekly lectionary-based children’s resources aimed at 5-11 year olds. Each session includes a theme, Bible story, game, craft activity, songs and a reflection. These resources can be printed out and used at home on a weekly basis by those who wish to do so. Click here to view/download.
Other Worship Resources
- Church of England weekly online services: https://www.churchofengland.org/
- Diocese of Leeds with a list of churches who live stream services: https://www.leeds.anglican.org/covid-19/live-streaming
- Bradford Cathedral live streamed services: https://www.bradfordcathedral.org/
- Learning to Pray (Church of England): https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/learning-pray
- Sacred Space for online daily prayer: https://www.sacredspace.ie/
- Worship in and with Creation – Resources for Outdoor Worship
- BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship
- Songs of Praise (BBC1)